- My dilly beans are delicious! Crunchy and pickly. (Is "pickly" a word? It is now!) The "regular" dilly beans turned out tasty, but I gotta tell you guys, the "spicy dilly beans" are better. They're not actually spicy, but they have a lot more flavor. My housemate Rebecca, an expert in pickles, informs me that the regular ones might get a little more flavorful as they age. But in the meantime, if you plan to make fridge pickles, it seems that adding more flavoring components (onions, garlic, peppercorns, dill, etc.) is the way to go.
- I thought that I was going to be 37 weeks pregnant this weekend, but then I looked at a calendar and realized that my due date is just a little more than two weeks away. No matter how you do the math, folks, 40 minus 2 does not equal 37. So, eek, I am actually 38 weeks pregnant this weekend?
- Two reactions to this discovery: (a) Holy crap, I'm going to have a baby pretty soon, people! (b) Wow, that is not a mistake I would have made in my first pregnancy, when I could have told you at any point, to within five seconds of accuracy, exactly how many weeks, days, hours pregnant I was. This whole second pregnancy has been different than my first in several ways.
- My midwife sent me to get an ultrasound last week to ensure that the baby is head down. She is, and all is well. Whew! Also, she is (still) definitely a girl, and she apparently has a long mullet? The hair on the back of her head was waving in the amniotic fluid like some kind of sea creature. Joe was born nearly bald, so it will be really interesting if this baby is born with a ton of hair!
- Suddenly, it dawned on me that my house is not nearly clean enough.
- Yes, yes, folks, I might actually be nesting!
- I still need to buy a carseat. I still have some work assignments I need to finish up. I still need to get those little baby hand-me-downs and figure out whether this child will have adequate clothing. Maybe Steve should refresh his memory just a tiny bit about coaching a woman through birth before I go into labor? After he vacuums the whole house, of course.
- I'm starting to panic just a little bit.
- Better make some cheesecake using my mother's recipe, which doesn't have any quantities and requires the chef to rely entirely on instinct (and frequent tasting) to achieve results worthy of a lifetime of Mom's.
- Mmm. Cheesecake.
Saturday, July 7, 2012