Okay, I know I was just complaining about this pattern. I love the fabulous 70s vibe of Zonen 09's "Jacob Pants," so I was really excited to sew up these pants for Joe. But there were several hassles with this pattern, and several, um, areas of disagreement.
First, it's meant to be printed out on European A4 paper, which is bigger than US 8.5X11". That was a pain in the ass to figure out (you have to print it actual size, but tiled so that each page prints out on two pages, then overlap and tape those together before trimming and taping the whole thing together). I realize not everyone uses the same size paper, but the whole thing was time consuming and required about half an acre of forest to complete.
Second hassle: The instructions. They are really long, and really detailed, which I know people love. But I honestly would have been happy with shorter directions. I draw the limit at like 15 pages of instructions for a pattern - I don't care how complicated the pattern is, I do not need 35 pages of instructions! (Well, okay, maybe for a tailored coat or a boned corset - but a simple pair of pants? Huh?) Also, I did not like how you have to skip around to find your fly option and pocket options. I like instructions that flow chronologically from beginning to end - if I'm not choosing an option, I'll skip over it when I get to it. It's just personal preference, but that approach just works better for me.
Third quibble. The pocket finishing for front and back pockets was basically, "serge the edges, fold them down a half inch, and sew onto the pants. No pocket facings or lining. That is just ... weird to me. And wrong. And, dare I say it, kind of sloppy?
So ... you know you've been sewing with o + s patterns for too long when you see an inadequately finished pocket and feel personally offended! I mean, seriously, if there's no pocket lining or facing, where the heck am I supposed to put the piping? Seriously, think about it.
It was at this point that I put these pants down unfinished and wandered away. For a week. And lost all sewing mojo. I just wasn't feeling it.
But then today I woke up with a wicked sore throat. I've been under too much stress at work lately, and it finally caught up to me. Luckily, I feel sort of okay as long as I perfectly time doses of ibuprofen and decongestants. So I did a little working from home, and then I picked up these half-finished pants.
I changed my serger thread. I lined the front pockets. I faced the little cargo pockets, which I decided to use as back pockets (and pleated them the wrong way, inadvertently, but I decided to run with it). And I sewed the pants together the way that made sense to me, and I pretty much ignored the instructions, just using skills and techniques I've learned along the way. And of course, I added piping.
And I love them. The fit is fantastic. They are the perfect pair of pants.
And although he was initially resistant to changing out of his nice warm pants and into these on a chilly afternoon (he's a bit under the weather too), Joe likes them too! He's still wearing them now. I should mention that Joe chose the colors. I offered him two options - orange corduroy with brown piping, or teal twill with lime green piping. Joe said "I want blue and brown." Oh, okay, not one of the options I gave you, but I can work with that.
Apparently, Mama loves bold color combinations, but Joe's tastes are more muted. But I can admit - Joe was right - the blue and brown are perfect together. Hip, but understated.
He even agreed to do a little photo shoot for me. He's such a big boy now. Well, a big boy who still likes to be carried by his dad, anyway. And get kisses.
Cute tushie!!! I am really happy with how the cargo pockets as back pockets turned out (I was inspired by this awesome pair). The pockets hide any pooching at the bottom of the dart, and in my opinion, help balance out the angle of the back knife-pleat.
So after my initial hesitation about this pattern, I have to say, I am pretty happy with these pants. I will likely make more, just ignoring the instructions and doing things the way I think they should be done.
Well, now that I've overcome that hurdle, hopefully I can get back into the swing of things!